Saturday, March 5, 2011

Betrayal (Haunting Emma #2) by Lee Nichols


So Betrayal is the first of the four reviews that will hopefully be coming soon since they were all released this week and I am really excited for all of them! Here’s amazon’s description:

Emma Vaile is the most powerful ghostkeeper in centuries. Which is great when she's battling the wraith-master Neos, but terrible when she's flirting with fellow ghostkeeper (and soul mate) Bennett. When ghostkeepers fall in love, the weaker one loses all power, and that's not something Bennett can handle.

Heartbroken and alone, Emma tries to lose herself in school with fellow ghostkeeper, Natalie. When a new team of ghostkeepers arrive-one a snarky teenboy, the other a British scholar-Emma finds solace in training for the battle against Neos. But as the team grows stronger, they are threatened by an unknown force. One they thought was good.

As chilling and page-turning as Deception, this sequel will grab readers and hold them to the last page. No one is safe from suspicion as Emma closes in on the traitor.

I was really excited for the continuation of Emma’s story. The plot was still amazing in this book as Nichols has brought a whole new concept to the paranormal genre. I love the world that she has created with the different types of ghostkeepers. The reason Emma is so impressive is that she has all the powers that everyone else has independently and then some. In the second book her powers continue to grow exponentially and she proves what a loyal and protective person she is.

There are several really interesting twists that the plot takes in this story where the “impossible” happens and it leaves the reader shocked. I really enjoy that in a story. No I won’t disclose more but you can read for yourself. The slight unpredicatability of the story is an attractive part of the book.

I do think that the ending strings need to be tied up sooner rather than later. I don’t want this to turn into another drawn out series with the same conflicts spanning 12 or more books. I enjoy seeing different conflicts and resolutions in the series over time. I have no idea what Nichols has planned for the future I am just stating that I hope she has new conflicts in mind for later books.

**Spoiler** I really don’t like Emma and Bennett’s relationship in this book. It’s nothing against the author but I think other readers might have trouble with it as well. The whole idea of staying together no matter what even in a potentially destructive relationship doesn’t sit well with me. Their relationship takes some unhealthy turns and it was hard for me to stomach that with the book.

Overall I give it a 4/5. It didn’t completely wow me but it kept me interested and I am eagerly awaiting the next installment in this series. The storyline is great and the fictional world has the attention to detail that is difficult to achieve.


No comments:

Post a Comment