Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Switched by Amanda Hocking

Switched is the first book in the Trylle trilogy by Amanda Hocking. Switched is a great addition to any paranormal readers library. Switched centers around two main characters Wendy and FInn. In the beginning Finn is introduced in a bit of a creepy manner as the kid that stares at Wendy at her new school. In a moment of hilarity (for me) she awkwardly confronts him and quite blatantly asks him why he is staring at her. This amused me greatly as it is something that I might would be inclined to do. Wendy hasn't really fit in any of her previous schools and Finn becomes her main attachment at her current school despite their awkward interactions. The story continues to evolve around them and their relationship. I don't want to spoil the story since the plot is not as predictable as most other books in this genre and there is even a bit of a twist with what exactly Wendy is. I was anticipating something other than what was revealed. Thus, that is all the details I can give on the plot.

The love story evolves logically over a period of time which is a bit more realisitic than the typical paranormal love story. The characters have a great depth to them and many different facets to their personality. At times it appears that Wendy is selfish and only concerned with herself. However, we see the love that she has for her family and her passion for equality in the story. This is what makes this book such a good read. The characters are dynamic and realistic. I highly recommend this book.

If you like Switched then you may be interested in the My Blood Approves series that Hocking has also written.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the review! I loved it!

    I saw your comment on my blog about reviewing my other books. I need your email address, and then I'd be happy to send you PDF's.

    My email is hocking_amanda@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete