Monday, July 19, 2010

Rant and Review of Hearts at Stake by Alyxandra Harvey

So after seeing Eclipse in theaters I have decided that I am really against a screen version of a book. Here's my question: If a book sells thousands of copies and is quoted all over the place, why would you change it? I guess I am a bit of a purist. This goes for many movies that I have seen after reading the book and vice versa. I do feel that some of the Harry Potter movies did justice to the writing. I just don't feel like you should make major changes to something that went over so well to the main populace. If its a book that didn't really sell, then feel free to take some liberties. I keep hearing the saying, "Why fix something if it isn't broken?"

Enough of my rant. Amazon had this book recommended on my homepage based on my buying history. I read the synopsis and decided it was worth a read. Hearts at Stake is a light read told from the perspective of Solange and Lucy. Solange is the first female born in 900 years to an ancient vampire family. This fulfills the prophecy that a born female will become queen. She has suitors constantly leaving somewhat gross presents for her and gets really annoyed with the swooning of the male population for her ability to bear vampire children. Lucy, whose real name is Lucky, is her human best friend. Lucy is extremely outspoken and has a tendency to break other people’s noses, especially Nicholas Solange’s older brother. The Drake famly ultimately finds themselves embroiled in a political battle and Solange winds up fighting for her life as she completes her change.

I found this book to be a very good light read. If you are looking for something to fill a few hours with a very light romance story and witty remarks then this is your book. The banter between Lucy and Nicholas keeps the novel moving. However, I was a lot less interested in the bits told from Solange’s perspective as I found her view of the world bland. She seems always in a funk and the narrative is weak when she is telling the story. The story does have some undertones that address prejudice against people who are different. This does add a little to the story. I recommend this book if you are looking for a fun quick read.

Hearts at Stake is the first in a series that follows the Drake family.

No comments:

Post a Comment