Saturday, October 16, 2010

Once in a Full Moon by Ellen Schreiber

I have been busy reading several galleys on Netgalley and haven't had much of a chance to update my blog. My son also got into a performing arts academy so we are trying to juggle that with all of his swimming responsibilities! Being a mom can be crazy at times. Anyway I finished this galley a few days ago and just got around to writing up my thoughts on the book.


Once in a Full Moon is an interesting story about love and accidents. Celeste is dating Nash, the school star athlete and one of the most popular guys. However, Celeste never really feels that she belongs with him. Their relationship is strained because Celeste holds back and does not share the same prejudiced feelings as the rest of the town about which side they live on. Then one day a new kid comes to school and she is captivated by him. Not only does he catch her attention in school but he saves her from a pack of wolves during a snowstorm. This leads to a Romeo and Juliet story with a paranormal twist.

I found this book was an interesting light read. It is easy to read and does a fairly good job of holding your interest. Celeste has a lot of compassion for those in her community and that makes the reader take an interest in her. However, her friends strike me as vapid and shallow which naturally pits the reader against them. It’s not that they are bad people it is just they are the typical popular girls in school.

I found the relationship between Celeste and Brandon to be a little rushed. I just personally don’t agree with the magnetic relationships in this genre. I like there to be a period of the characters getting to know one another.
The conflict in the story is mostly between Nash trying to get Celeste back and the prejudices of the community. I think there are some good lessons about prejudice in this book and in recent light of the bullying situation in schools most students will identify with being disliked and judged because of something like where they are from.

Overall I give the book a 3.5/5. It is not one of my favorites that I have read in this genre but it is by far not one that I dislike. I just feel that the plot is a little simplistic for me.

Once in a full moon comes out 12/28/2010 and can be pre-ordered through the link below on amazon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment