Saturday, September 3, 2011

Soul Thief by Jana Oliver


While I love the paranormal and the romance YA genre I have become increasingly interested in urban fantasy mixed with the paranormal. I found The Demon Trapper’s daughter through the Amazon vine program and absolutely fell in love with the series. You can find that review here. It is a great blend of paranormal and urban genres. I have had Soul Thief in my wishlist on Amazon as soon as it was listed. So I was very excited to finally have it delivered to my kindle on release day this week. Here’s the summary from Amazon:

Seventeen-year-old Riley has about had it up to here. After the devastating battle at the Tabernacle, trappers are dead and injured, her boyfriend Simon is gravely injured, and now her beloved late father’s been illegally poached from his grave by a very powerful necromancer. As if that’s not enough, there's Ori, one sizzling hot freelance demon hunter who’s made himself Riley’s unofficial body guard, and Beck, a super over-protective “friend” who acts more like a grouchy granddad.  With all the hassles, Riley’s almost ready to leave Atlanta altogether.
But as Atlanta’s demon count increases, the Vatican finally sends its own Demon Hunters to take care of the city’s “little” problem, and pandemonium breaks loose. Only Riley knows that she might be the center of Hell’s attention: an extremely powerful Grade 5 demon is stalking her, and her luck can't last forever…

Oh wow this book was an incredible follow up to the Demon Trapper’s Daughter. This is a series that is simply getting better each installment. I already fell in love with Riley and Beck in the first book and that only got better.

Riley’s character definitely grows up even more in this book. She still has a lot to learn about being on her own and learning when she is in over her head. You also get a lot more insight into Beck and really get to feel what he is thinking. I don’t want to give a lot away because this book was one surprise after another. I definitely didn’t see any of the plot turns coming.

Simon is in this book but is different from the first book. I must admit that I didn’t care for his character or his and Riley’s relationship in the first book. I felt like at some point he would have to ask to change who she is to stay with him. I was happy with some of the changes that went on in the second book with their relationship.

Ori is back and is just as mysterious as ever in the beginning of the book. I will say that eventually you do solve some of the mystery of Ori but it takes getting through the entire book.
Riley and Beck continue to bicker and dance around each other with tension. I am really rooting for a happy ending for those two in later books.

Overall, I give this book a 5/5. It was even better than the first book in the series. In fact I already started looking to find when the third book will be released but haven’t had luck with that yet. 


No comments:

Post a Comment