Monday, September 5, 2011

Indie Read of the Week: Second Kiss by Natalie Palmer


I come across a lot of great Indie books through Amazon and recommendations. I have decided that I want to feature a different Indie book each week that I have read and fell in love with. This week’s recommendation is Second Kiss by Natalie Palmer. Here’s the description on Amazon:

Even my most humiliating moments seemed funny somehow when I told them to Jess.' Gemma Mitchell is a normal girl who somehow gets herself into abnormally embarrassing circumstances. And while she thinks she's the biggest loser in school because of them, there are a few people in her life who would disagree. One of those people is her best friend, Jess Tyler, who is opposite to her in every way. He's popular, good looking, athletic, and intelligent, and he can't get enough of Gemma. But while Gemma is dealing with problems like wrong locker combinations and Valentine's Day dances, Jess is living in a world of serious issues that are foreign to Gemma, until she realizes that he's holding on to her for dear life. Humorous and true to life, Second Kiss is an entertaining saga about a boy and girl who find that their lives have a lot more meaning once they have shared them with each other.

I am so glad I gave this book a chance. It isn’t published by a major publishing house so I still consider it to fall under the Indie radar for my blog purposes. It only has a few reviews on Amazon and I am so glad that I gave it a chance.

Second Kiss is a beautifully told love story between two best friends. Jess is the perfect guy that every mother wishes her daughter would find and every girl dreams about. He shares everything with Gem and never laughs at her or thinks less of her. He is considerate and kind.

Gem is a typical girl throughout the book. Jess is her best friend and most of the book is simply about their friendship and how they make it through some really terrible circumstances with each other.
It is refreshing to read a good clean novel about friendship and love. There aren’t any outside crazy circumstances to what is going on with them. It is just a natural evolution with the characters.

I am dearly hoping that there is a sequel to this story because I don’t feel like Jess and Gem have finished their story. I also really want to see what happens after the last scene in the book. I haven’t been able to locate any information on a sequel but did send the question through goodreads to the author. I will update if/when I get an answer.

Overall, I give it a 4/5.



No comments:

Post a Comment