Thursday, August 19, 2010

Past Midnight by Mara Purnhagen

Past midnight is a story about a young girl named Charlotte who has famous ghost hunting parents. The twist is that her parents don’t really believe in ghosts but in energy. However, after one particular investigation some ghosts connect with Charlotte and things start to get really weird. She moves to a new town and finally fits in and makes popular friends. Avery her closest friend has recently suffered a tragedy that involves a boy named Jared. However, the “energy” or ghosts follow her to the new house and begins to make life complicated. Charlotte has to figure out what the ghosts want before it is too late.

This wasn’t one of my favorite reads. I liked the basic storyline and found it interesting. However, I found myself getting bored at certain points in the story. It takes a long time for events to happen in the book. At least it takes quite a bit of background to get to a revelation to the problem in the story. The drama with the cheerleader Avery gets a little tough to read at times. I feel as though some of it could have been cut out. Jared's character seemed really intriguing and then it was never really developed. I kept hoping to catch a further glimpse at his character but that never came.

Overall, I found the premise intriguing and the writing was well done. The dialogue was genuine to the genre. However, as compared to many YA paranormal books there is little to no romance in this one. That is a bit unusual. If you are looking for a YA book with some romance in it this is not the book for you.

I give this book a 3 out of 5. I would be interested in reading further books from this author. However, this particular one was not one of my favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment