Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Ghost Huntress 4

So I have officially joined netGalley which is an online way to get Galleys of books to review for publishers. With that said I did get an advance copy of this text and did not pay for it. However, this does not influence my review in any way. Several of my upcoming reviews will be from this site.

The fourth book in the Ghost Huntress series by Marley Gibson is titled The Counseling. I have recently read the other books and the newest one in the series continues to follow the main character Kendell as she discovers who she is as a psychic and overcomes her fears that are developed in book 3. She is also still trying to put together the puzzle pieces of who her birth parents are and how to contact blood relatives. I found myself vey intrigued with the bit of mystery surrounding her parents. A new love interest enters Kendell’s life and a promising relationship evolves throughout the book. Kendell is a very refreshing female character. She is a young independent woman that does not need a male in her life. She has healthy relationships with friends and family that is sorely lacking in most paranormal literature.

I really enjoyed the way that the book reads. The author uses texts to make the prose a bit more relatable. It isn’t used quite as much in the fourth installment and I find that I do miss it. It made the events and people more real. In addition, the writing is authentic for the genre. Gibson uses true terms for ghost hunting but does not overwhelm the reader with new vocabulary. I also like that I could have started with the fourth installment and I wouldn’t have been entirely lost. Obviously, reading the earlier books will give more insight to the story but if you just started with the fourth book you will not be lost.

Overall I give this book a 4 out of 5. I feel that the beginning went pretty slowly and was a bit too in depth for the events that were going on. I also feel that only a very small amount of time progresses in each book and that could be a problem for readers. For instance, the House of Night series has gotten tedious for me to read since so little time is covered. However, the writing is good and the characters have realistic struggles and interesting dilemmas. It is not filled with the typical teen angst and narration about how the female lead can’t live without the male lead. I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in paranormal YA romance especially those that like a bit of mystery interwoven to the text.

This book is due for publication in September.

Click the Amazon link below to order/pre-order


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great review. Glad you enjoyed the books and I hope you'll keep reading the series.

    All the best,
    Marley = )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember about 7 years ago Marley used to be submitting books as an unpublished author and we used to talk about that...look at her now! Your writing dreams can come true, it can happen to you!

    ReplyDelete