Monday, December 17, 2012

Opal by Jennifer L. Armentrout


I stumbled upon the Lux series through Amazon recommendations. With the new baby I have found the only way to endure the sleep deprivation at night while feeding or rocking her is to read. Therefore, I have blown through my TBR pile that has gathered for the past few months and find myself browsing through goodreads and amazon’s recommendations. Opal is the latest installment in the series and was just recently released. Here’s the summary from goodreads:

No one is like Daemon Black.

When he set out to prove his feelings for me, he wasn’t fooling around. Doubting him isn’t something I’ll do again, and now that we’ve made it through the rough patches, well... There’s a lot of spontaneous combustion going on.

But even he can’t protect his family from the danger of trying to free those they love.

After everything, I’m no longer the same Katy. I’m different... And I’m not sure what that will mean in the end. When each step we take in discovering the truth puts us in the path of the secret organization responsible for torturing and testing hybrids, the more I realize there is no end to what I’m capable of. The death of someone close still lingers, help comes from the most unlikely source, and friends will become the deadliest of enemies, but we won’t turn back. Even if the outcome will shatter our worlds forever.

Together we’re stronger... and they know it.

If you haven’t read this series it is about a group of aliens called the Luxen. Now I know many people aren’t a fan of Sci-Fi but really even though there are aliens in here I would classify it as more of a paranormal. While they are aliens Jennifer doesn’t dwell on that aspect. It seems more paranormal in that the group is more like humans with super powers. They aren’t parts on UFOs or other planets. So even if you aren’t into Sci-Fi I would recommend picking up this series.

One of my favorite things about this series is the intensity of the relationship between Daemon and Katy. It has that same intense quality of twilight but with the realism of an everyday relationship. While they both have intense feelings for each other, they fight just like any other couple. I find this the most refreshing aspect of their relationship.

Katy is an incredible strong female lead that doesn’t annoy the reader. She isn’t so strong that she alienates herself and Jennifer has done a great job giving her interests outside of Daemon and the other Luxen. Daemon has a strong protective streak but allows Katy (after heated discussions) to do things her own way. I find the realism in this series to be one of its strongest points. If you haven’t read this series then I suggest picking up the first book Obsidian. Also on a side note: Wow the cover model is good looking!



No comments:

Post a Comment