Friday, July 29, 2011

Love Story by Jennifer Echols


I absolutely adore all of Jennifer Echols books. I have been waiting on this story since she first announced it early this year. I was a little apprehensive about the premise but it turned out to be a beautiful story. Here’s the summary from Amazon:

For Erin Blackwell, majoring in creative writing at the New York City college of her dreams is more than a chance to fulfill her ambitions—it’s her ticket away from the tragic memories that shadow her family’s racehorse farm in Kentucky. But when she refuses to major in business and take over the farm herself someday, her grandmother gives Erin’s college tuition and promised inheritance to their maddeningly handsome stable boy, Hunter Allen. Now Erin has to win an internship and work late nights at a local coffee shop to make her own dreams a reality. She should despise Hunter . . . so why does he sneak into her thoughts as the hero of her latest writing assignment?
Then, on the day she’s sharing that assignment with her class, Hunter walks in. He’s joining her class. And after he reads about himself in her story, her private fantasies about him must be painfully clear. She only hopes to persuade him not to reveal her secret to everyone else. But Hunter devises his own creative revenge, writing sexy stories that drive the whole class wild with curiosity and fill Erin’s heart with longing. Now she’s not just imagining what might have been. She’s writing a whole new ending for her romance with Hunter . . . except this story could come true.

I read this book during the Mu Alpha Theta National Competition and hated that I only had a few minutes to read here and there. This book was one that I wish I could have read without putting it down! The friction between Hunter and Erin is beautifully done. It truly is a Love Story between the two of them.

Hunter and Erin volley back and forth in her creative writing class with their feelings for one another. It’s a little like watching a ping pong match as the story continues. However, at the same time there are moments in between where their interactions hint at different feelings. Add in a crazy bunch of friends and the story holds your interest and keeps you guessing about what is going to happen next.

I will admit I was nervous about adding in the horse aspect to the story. This is probably one area I am completely not interested in. I have never cared for horse races, etc. However, it was a small part of the story itself so I didn’t feel like I needed an education in horse racing.

One of the reasons I tend to be leery of love stories is because it seems many authors need some sort of tragedy to bring the characters together. I have never really been a fan of that type of writing because I read to escape things. I really liked that Jennifer was able to write a beautiful love story that holds your interest without a horrible tragedy that left me sobbing. There are may conflicts even after some realizations are made. I often get bored with simple love stories and this was not the case. The storyline was very complex as well as the characters and their behaviors.

For once I really don’t have a criticism about a book. I really loved every part of it. I would also like to add that I think this story would translate really well into a movie and would love to see that happen. I give this book a 5/5!


No comments:

Post a Comment