Monday, June 6, 2011

Withering Tights by Louise Rennison


I was so excited to find this book in my inbox! I didn’t even know that Louise Rennison had started a new series after the Confessions of Georgina Nicholson series. I suppose that happens when you start reading too many series at one time. I find that it is often hard to keep up with all the authors that I would like to. Anyway, I absolutely love the Georgina series and found it to be quite hilarious. This new series didn’t fail to disappoint me! Here’s the description from Goodreads:

Picture the scene: Dother Hall performing arts college somewhere Up North, surrounded by rolling dales, bearded cheesemaking villagers (male and female) and wildlife of the squirrely-type._ On the whole, it’s not quite the showbiz experience Tallulah was expecting… but once her mates turn up and they start their ‘FAME! I’m gonna liiiiive foreeeeeever, I’m gonna fill my tiiiiights’ summer course things are bound to perk up. _Especially when the boys arrive. (When DO the boys arrive?)_ Six weeks of parent-free freedom. _BOY freedom. _Freedom of expression..._cos it’s the THEATRE dahling, theatre!!

I found Tallulah to be just as great of a lead character as Georgina. She is charming hilarious and quirky. Throughout the book you follow Tallulah on hilarious journeys as she finds herself and her self-confidence. Her friends only add other hilarious qualities to the story itself. Seeing the world and everyone through her eyes brings life to the story.

The plot is really unpredictable as you never know what is going to happen next with Tallululah. Of course, not a whole lot happens plot wise. You follow the girls in a summer program. Most of the book is the social interaction between a group of fun loving girl friends.

This is definitely a book for a younger teen age group. I would recommend it for 12 & up. If you are use to reading older teen books the story may not hold your attention or be what you are looking for. The only detractor for the book for me was it was aimed to a much younger age set than I am use to. However, I still found the book hilarious. I found myself laughing throughout the book and trying to explain to my family what was so funny. Overall, for me this book is a 4/5. If I was in the teen bracket I would give it a 5.




2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a lot of fun even if there's not a big plot. I like reading books about a fun group of girls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alison,

    That's exactly how I saw it. There isn't really an obvious problem/resolution to this book other than the emotional journey Tallulah embarks on. However, it kept me laughing throughout the book and was definitely a great read!

    ReplyDelete