Saturday, May 7, 2011

Abandon by Meg Cabot


Meg Cabot is one of my favorite authors. I read all of her books both YA and Adult. I have been eagerly awaiting the release of Abandon since it was announced last fall or summer. I am excited that I finally got a copy of it! Here’s the summary from Amazon:

Though she tries returning to the life she knew before the accident, Pierce can't help but feel at once a part of this world, and apart from it. Yet she's never alone . . . because someone is always watching her. Escape from the realm of the dead is impossible when someone there wants you back.
But now she's moved to a new town. Maybe at her new school, she can start fresh. Maybe she can stop feeling so afraid.
Only she can't. Because even here, he finds her. That's how desperately he wants her back. She knows he's no guardian angel, and his dark world isn't exactly heaven, yet she can't stay away . . . especially since he always appears when she least expects it, but exactly when she needs him most.
But if she lets herself fall any further, she may just find herself back in the one place she most fears: the Underworld.

Sadly I was disappointed in Abandon at first. The story takes a really long time to get going and I almost put it down several times. It is too mysterious in the beginning. There isn’t enough information for the situation and I found myself as a reader getting very frustrated as I tried to understand what was going on with Pierce.

With about ¼ of the book left to go, I finally got really into the book. I read the last part of the novel without stopping after three days of trying to get through the beginning. If the entire book had been as good as the end then I would definitely give it a 5 star rating. However, I think that for me the start took a lot away from the story.

Pierce’s character is not as relatable in the beginning as in the end. It is almost as if she is numb and adrift in life. I personally can’t seem to relate to that feeling. However, as the story goes on she finally seems to come out of it a bit and becomes a bit easier to relate to.

I will say that when romance finally does come into the book it is hilarious. It definitely has that comical feel to it as both characters are incredibly stubborn and the conflict over two people being strong willed and stubborn ensues. I find this to be extremely hilarious in the sense that I can foresee some real fun moments in this relationship.

As a whole I give this book a 3/5. However, if the next books continue the way this one ended I am really excited to read them. It has tremendous potential. 


2 comments:

  1. Meg Cabot is one of my favorite authors too! It's too bad that the book started off so slow. Usually her books have a slow beginning, but not so slow that I ever put the book down. Wow, it defintely makes me reconsider picking up the book. Thanks for reviewing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Larissa,

    I would just pick it up from the library or wait until you have read the other summer releases. I have a lot of other releases I am trying to get through and just felt really let down by the beginning.

    ReplyDelete