Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Almost to Die For by Tate Hallaway

I absolutely loved Almost to Die for! It was sitting in my Amazon recommendations and I loved this book. Here is the summary from Amazon:

“On her sixteenth birthday, Anastasija Parker learns that her so-called deadbeat dad is actually a vampire king. And he wants Ana to assume her rightful position at his side, in spite of the fact that she has witch's blood running through her veins-from her mother's side.

Too bad witches and vampires are mortal enemies. And now Ana's parents are at each other's throats over her future. It's up to Ana to make a choice, but deciding your eternal destiny is a pretty big deal for a girl who just wants to get through high school.”


I really liked that Ana struggled with her identity but didn’t let her identity define her in the end. While the book seems to have some of the ideas of destiny, Ana makes her own future. This was probably my favorite part of the book. I also loved the honest of her character. While other characters are heralded for their honesty Ana doesn’t sensor her feelings. When a potential suitor frightens her, she calls him on it.

I also enjoyed the plot. It was a different twist. No one was trying to end the world or kill another species per say. It was a simple story about a girl and her own battle to find who she is amidst her different heritages. Keeping the plot simple has many benefits for the reader. It made me want to keep reading from start to finish to find the answers for Ana.

The only detractor from this book for me was the ending. I would have liked to see a longer ending. It felt like there was this huge buildup but then it was wrapped up very quickly. Maybe I will feel differently about that after a few days because I do love the way Hallaway keeps it simple.

Overall I give this book a 5/5 and really recommend reading this book. It is a different twist on the vampires and on the love triangle.


No comments:

Post a Comment