Monday, November 15, 2010

Torn by Amanda Hocking


Torn is the second book in the Trylle trilogy by Amanda Hocking. If you didn’t read my review of switched here

In Torn Wendy is still trying to make sense of what becoming a princess means and dealing with her relationship or lack thereof with Finn. She is continuing to develop her powers and learning what her limitations are. The interesting part of the story is when a new player is introduced Loki. Personally, he quickly became one of my favorite characters as he seems to be very frank and forward but at the same time you are never really sure what his motivation is or if he is really telling the truth. To keep any other spoilers out I don’t want to give away too much so I will get on with my thoughts on the story.
You can also watch the trailer to get an idea of what is going on in the story:


Amanda Hocking is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors for several reasons. One I love that I don’t have to wait forever for her next book to come out. Two because I get to the end of the book and keep flipping looking for the rest of the story. I don’t realize how far I am in the book because I am so absorbed in the story. I got an early copy from Amanda to read and review and my husband kept trying to talk to me all night but I was reading the story and was so absorbed that I didn’t even hear him asking questions. Which does not make for a happy hubby :)

I really loved the introduction of Loki to the story and the twist with the Vittra. I can’t give it away but it really brought a whole new facet to the story. Sometimes a series can get old if it has the same conflict and the same love triangle in it. Instead Hocking brings out new personality traits and new characters to keep the story fresh. We also find out a lot of new information about what being Trylle means for Wendy and we see her mature so much as a character.

I liked this book in particular because it is truly a coming of age story for Wendy and because we see her mature and grow into the role of becoming the princess. The story of Wendy and Finn continues to be difficult but it does not become the whiny love story that too many YA paranormals become. Wendy remains a strong character and is very determined despite how she feels.

I highly recommend Torn and give it a 5/5. It is truly a diamond in the rough. Follow the link below to get your copy from amazon!

No comments:

Post a Comment