Monday, January 16, 2012

Jessica Rules the Dark Side by Beth Fantasky


I have been waiting for the sequel to the first Jessica book for quite awhile. I read the first book and the web story and have been anticipating this book for quite some time. I can't help but feel that this raised my expectations considerably. There are several things that make this series great: Jessica's strong personality and a leading lady, Mindy (enough said) and the relationship between Jessica and Lucius. The sequel feel a bit flat as we really don't get to see much of Jessica and Lucius. The majority of the book they are separated physically but even when they are together there is an emotional block in their relationship. I realize there is strain in the storyline but I find it odd that Jessica finally gets married and turns into the timid mouse she is portrayed as in the book.

Honestly, Mindy was one of the best parts in this book. Her sense of humor and strength carried the book for me. I found myself more interested in the side story between her and Raniero than the main characters. All in all after the enormous wait for this book it just didn't measure up to the other books or my expectations. Key aspects of the book were missing. Although, the plot moves and there is some fun dialogue it is just missing that "it" factor the other two have.

I also recommend that you read the first book in the series and the web book on Beth's website before reading this book. If you haven't read the wedding story you will be missing some small pieces needed for this book.


No comments:

Post a Comment