Tuesday, April 5, 2011

We'll Always Have Summer by Jenny Han


I was so excited to get an early copy of We’ll Always Have Summer! In fact, I was so excited because I didn’t even know that there would be a third book in the series. I read both the previous books through an Amazon recommendation and didn’t know there was a third one coming out until I received a copy. Here’s the description from Amazon:

Belly has only ever been in love with two boys, both with the last name Fisher. And after being with Jeremiah for the last two years, she's almost positive he is her soul mate. Almost. Conrad has not gotten over the mistake he made when he let Belly go even as Jeremiah has always known that Belly is the girl for him. So when Belly and Jeremiah decide to make things forever, Conrad realizes that it's now or never--tell Belly he loves her, or lose her for good.

Belly will have to confront her feelings for Jeremiah and Conrad and face a truth she has possibly always known: she will have to break one of their hearts.

This book speaks to me in an interesting way. I grew up close to two guys and I couldn’t imagine at that young of an age having to choose between them. Luckily for us it didn’t turn out where any of us wound up dating but I can see the potential for disaster in this book. I can also relate to Belly having these two guys and wanting to keep them to herself. My friends and I, didn’t go to the same school and our friends usually didn’t mesh.

Aside from identifying some with Belly, I love her character. She is strong and stubborn and yet very young and vulnerable. She struggles with her relationship but it doesn’t seem as angsty as other YA writing. I would liken the love story in this book to something similar to Sarah Dessen. If you enjoy her love stories you will like the story in this book.

I will admit that the first part was hard for me to get through because I was really upset with a twist that happened in Belly and Jeremiah’s relationship. However, it had a purpose and in the end I know it was part of the story. I just wasn’t so thrilled with the way that it seemed to work out.

I succeeded in not reading the end of the story. The whole book I was going back and forth with who she was going to wind up with. I actually didn’t figure it out until pretty close to the end and even then I wasn’t sure. This only added to the interesting part of the book.

I definitely give this book a 5/5. I think it is extremely good and will make a great summer read. It is a light romance and leans toward the older part of YA as Belly is now farther in college and so is Jeremiah. If you haven’t read this series you can find the first book The Summer I Turned Pretty on Amazon. 



No comments:

Post a Comment